Thursday, October 28, 2010

Activities Galore

For the past 3 years, my girl has, like most kids her age, participated in 2 activities beyond the school day. She does gymnastics throughout the school year and has a break during the summer. Soccer is in the spring or fall. She has always loved gymnastics since she has one of her good friends in class with her. She’s not a huge fan of soccer and finally got through to Gollum this year with how much she disliked it. Big Papa played soccer in high school and enjoyed helping out the coaches on her team so I always wondered if Gollum chose soccer to appease him in some way. We never have any say or decision in the activities she does….we just come out and support my girl as much as we possibly can.

This year, for second grade, she has continued with her catholic after-school education (I’m not Catholic so I’m only slightly familiar with the terms…I believe the class is called CFF). That class is on Tuesday afternoons from 4:30 – 5:30. Since Tuesday is our night, I pick her up from the class on my way home from work.
My girl was already requesting more time with us because she didn’t get the whole afternoon to see us when she began this class in her first grade year. We were told by Gollum that she was taking this class on our night….not asked, told. Now Gollum has signed her up for swimming which is 3 nights a week practice plus Saturday’s for meets. She also signed her up for Choir which is Wednesday afternoons and a few Saturday’s in December and the Spring for concerts. Keep in mind that she also maintains gymnastics on Saturday mornings. I am tired just writing all that.

Swimming is Monday, Tuesday and Thursday night. So she literally is busy every single day of the week except Fridays. Oh, she has Sundays “off” too, can’t forget that. Normally she has to do choir and CFF homework on Sunday’s.

Big Papa and I are really concerned that this schedule is taking a toll on her. I know Tuesday nights take a bit of a toll on me already. The first night was awful. She wouldn’t go to bed because Gollum had told her that she could go to bed at 9:30. As nicely as we could, we reminded my girl that “Mommy doesn’t make the rules in our house and you are going to bed at 9.” Cue meltdown.

It’s gotten better but it is still tough because we want to spend time with her and not have to rush from place to place every time she’s with us. She and I get home at about 6:10 from work/CFF. We need to leave at 6:30 to get to swimming on time. Which leaves 20 minutes to get her fed, changed into her suit, gather up her towel and shampoo, etc and do 2 pages of homework with a stubborn 7 year old.

After swimming which is 7-8, I rush her into the showers and put on pajamas at the school. We get home about 8:40 and we give her 20 minutes to get a quick snack, brush her teeth, and play with the dogs. We don’t have time for anything else since her normal bedtime is 8 so 9 is pushing it. The only hope I have is that this swim season lasts until the end of January.

In the meantime, not only is it too much for her, we only have the time in the car to and from swimming to really spend with her so that makes our 2 weekends a month that much more packed. Gollum offered up one extra hour on our Sundays (we normally have her Fridays at 4:30 to Sundays at 12). Whoop-de-do. The weird thing was that Gollum told this to my girl and not us. From the sounds of it, she did this to appease my girl since she was sobbing when she found out swimming was Tuesdays nights and would give her even less time with us. And Gollum didn’t tell us this….her sister did. God forbid Gollum give up some of “her time” to make my girl happy.

Now Big Papa seems reluctant to fight for extra time every time we talk about it. My mom made a good point that Gollum cannot legally schedule any activities on our time and if she does, we don’t have to let my girl participate. Ugh, seems like an uphill battle any way you slice it. My fear is, if we don’t fight for more time with her and try to leave everything “civil and nice” with Gollum and let her walk all over us, that my girl will someday ask us why we didn’t fight to see her more. And we’ll have to tell her that it’s because of her overbearing, controlling mother. That and Big Papa’s fear of rocking the boat.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD. This was us, years ago. I am sick just reading it. I cannot tell you what to do, but I wish I had had the understanding of this year's ago. You absolutely DO NOT have to take her to any of these activities if her father is not on board as well. It is your, and his time with the kid- do not waste it by doing what BM wants you to do! Seriously!! Unless something is court ordered as an activity- make up your own minds about what your child will do, and not do. And tell BM that if she schedules things for your time without your approval, then she up shit creek.

    Be warned that it may seem kinda annoying and bothersome now, based on BM's decree for activities. But in a few years, it will be hell. When your girl is older and more convinced of her mother's rule, and more likely to have bought into her dictates, you'll have no say in the matter whatsoever. At least right now the kid is telling you what she wants and doesn't want. Listen to her, and listen to the needs of your family. You don't have to follow BM's controlling rules.

    Tell Big Papa to Rock the F--king boat!!

    Oh boy, I'm wishing you well, and am so sorry you are going through this struggle. I totally understand the crappy position you are in. Please drop me a note if you ever want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dragonflymama, thank you! I so appreciate your wisdom and understanding of this situation….I feel like this snuck up on us because she has never had these many activities before and being in the dark with most stuff, we didn’t realize that the time commitment was so huge for all these new activities. I feel like this is a high school senior’s schedule! But it is scary to think that this will get worse as she gets older. And I know you are right about that – my girl already protects her mother in many ways while admitting that she lies and “is sneaky” about certain things. My girl has said for the last few weeks that she wants to keep this schedule but just told Big Papa this weekend that she doesn’t want to do choir anymore. She told him “I just need a one day break.” Broke my heart and I thought about your words to listen to the needs of our family. Between my girl telling him that and me telling him about your advice, Big Papa is pretty fired up and says he is going to give Gollum a call today to discuss this situation…..keep your fingers crossed for us! Thank you again for your words of wisdom and your well wishes, I will keep you posted!!!

    ReplyDelete