Monday, August 9, 2010

Laughter

Big Papa makes me laugh continuously and I am so thankful for him. I/We need to be able to laugh at life and the twists and turns it brings. My mom always tells me, "Choose to be happy. Every day you need to make a conscious decision to be happy in life." My late grandma, an amazingly insightful woman, always told me to "be happy and healthy." I hold this advice closely to my heart and try to remember these words of wisdom in the tough times especially.

It's easy for me to get sucked into the vortex that is largely composed of the negative aspects of our blended family/ex-girlfriend/crazy mother-in-law situation. Big Papa often helps me to put things into perspective and makes me laugh along the way. Here is a conversation we had this weekend while eating dinner in our living room, on our coffee table. Big Papa noticed I had a stack of books on the table that I am currently reading; some for fun, others for blended family advice.

Big Papa: What's that one book called? Joint Custody with a Jerk? WHAT? So now you think I'm a Jerk??

Big Mama: Whaaaa? I don't have joint custody with you, you big dope. WE have joint custody with Gollum who, we've already established, is a big jerk.

Big Papa: OH. Right. Makes sense.

And then he proceeds to smirk throughout the rest of our meal. I don't know what was funnier to him - the fact that I am reading a book with a name like that or that he thought I was reading it because I thought he was a jerk!

Good times...good times....

2 comments:

  1. I just checked out that book from the library. I haven't started reading it yet, but am hoping it will give me some insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, so good- it has some pretty good advice. hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete